“Seventy-one percent of American workers are “not engaged” or “actively disengaged” in their work, meaning they are emotionally disconnected from their workplaces and are less likely to be productive.” Gallup
This trend has been going on for many years.
People feel lost and are running harder than ever and making less money (in terms of earning power).
“Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from.”
Seth Godin in Tribes
Three major factors are making us a nation of slaves.
Who is Living Differently
- Those who take control of their money and their time
- Those who love their work
- Those who create flexible work environments
- Those who control the environment (Entrepreneurs and Solopreneurs)
- Jonathan Milligan – works one day a week at church, and takes Friday off.
- Brian Rabon – Snow skis 50 days per year.
- Jeff Goins – Replaced his wife’s income, then his own.
- Cliff Ravenscraft – Doing what he loves and considers it ministry. (Income report)
- Pat Flynn – Got fired and never looking back. He started with an exam. (Income report)
- John Lee Dumas – Wanted to hear more podcasts, so made them happen. (Income Report)
- Dan Miller – His goal was to create a business to help people without large staff and with freedom.
How to Make it Happen for You
- Realize it is Possible and Normal – Begin to learn from others and see what others are doing
- Find Your Calling (See free download below)
- Connect with others doing what you want to do.
- Act. Most people never start.
- Be persistent – Most people give up fast.
Other Resources from the Talk
- Gallup Survey – 70% of people disengaged with their job
- My Reading List
- Online Executive Graduate Program in Engineering Management: UAB Information Engineering and Management Program
- My book Resumes are Worthless: How to Find the Work You Love and Succeed
- Get control of your money – The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
- Get control of your time