How to deal with a setback…
That is a question we all encounter from time to time.
Setbacks look like a lot of things:
- Job loss
- Project failed
- Did not get the job you hoped for
How to Deal with a Setback
- Own it – take 100% responsibility. Placing the blame is great – but it takes you out of control. You have become a victim, and you cannot change the circumstances. We want to blame others because
- Relationship issues
- Write down the thoughts – How do you feel.
- I lost this job and will never get another good job again.
- I was overlooked for the promotion because they found me out – I have hit my peak.
- Since I am [black, white, male, female] I will never get ahead in this [industry/company]
- Write down the reality – What is more likely the truth.
- I got this job, can get another. I know more now. I am more valuable.
- I have learned more and can do more – if I want to. Do I?
- Others who are [black, white, male, female] have done remarkable things in this [industry/company] – so can I.
- What has this failure offered you?
- Freedom to explore
- Opportunity to reset
- Get some training.
- Improve the situation – Define some steps you can do to improve the situation
- Job loss – Stop and define what you want now. This setback is a chance to reset.
- Get my head in gear and ask for mentorship and help from my leadership. I must be missing something.
- Congratulate the person who got the job over me. I might be their boss soon!
- Failed project – What can I do to improve on the situation? Get the team together to come up with a plan.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my Company of One? If you’re not, I encourage you to do that today, so you don’t miss an episode. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
If you like what you hear, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast. I also love reading them and connecting with you. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Links mentioned in this episode: