Looking to grow your income without leaving your day job?
Growing our income is one of the most common goals we all have – but we rarely talk about it like growth.
Instead, I hear others tell me “I want to make more money”
But what does that mean? Usually a new job or a pay raise.
When I ask “How are you going to make that happen?” the answers come back
- Wait for my boss to give me a raise, I guess?
- Hope that they finally pay me what I am worth.
- I am looking for a new job. (usually passively)
The challenge is most of us are waiting on someone else to grow our income.
STOP. Take control. YOU GROW YOUR OWN INCOME!
Five Ways to Grow Your Income Without Leaving Your Day Job (Podcast Outline)
#1 – Start a side hustle doing what you love.
There is no easier way to increase your income and create a long term flow of money.
- Teaching others how to do what you love and are good at. We see a lot of this on – courses on how to use their camera, learn a language, do building projects, fix houses, etc.
- Providing a service for others doing something. Pressure washing. Lawn care. Dog sitting. Organizing kitchens. Making cakes.
#2 – Sell stuff on CraigsList, FB Marketplace, ETSY, eBay
All that junk sitting around that you do not use. Take a photo and put it on Craigslist. A friend of mine tells me he sees something that they do not use and he grabs his phone, takes a photo, and posts it. Gone.
One of my team members needed to generate some cash to cover her last few terms in grad school. She started taking pictures of household items she no longer needed and put them on Facebook Marketplace. She sold it all generating enough money to cover her tuition.
WARNING: Can become habitual. I know several people that have had such success on eBay and other platforms that they decided to just not go back to work.
#3 – Increase your income on the job (This is often the easiest – but not the fastest)
- Find out what really matters.
- Add more value.
- Take on more work.
- Take on the role left by someone else whose job has not been filled.
- Take on work your company is currently outsourcing.
- Find a way to add more revenue at work.
- Find a way to cut costs at work.
- Use the I Will Teach You To Be Rich method.
- Use my Company of One method. Ep 130 – How to Increase Your Income – Without Working Any Harder or Any Longer.
#4 – Start freelancing
You have skills. Even if you think you don’t, you do. Search sites like Upwork and Fiver to see what other people are outsourcing. What are they doing that you can do?
- Programmers earning an extra $30k per year without working hard at it.
- Grant writing.
- Writing an email series for companies.
- Setting up a WordPress site or other software.
- Online marketing.
- See Neil Patel’s The 5 BEST Digital Marketing Side Hustles $20 to $195 Per Hour!
#5 – Take a second job (one that is fun)
- Work in a seasonal shop that you enjoy.
- Help a company you like to buy from. Usually a local company.
- Help a friend grow their company.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my Company of One? If you’re not, I encourage you to do that today so you don’t miss an episode. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
If you like what you hear, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast. I also love reading them and connecting with you. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich
- Ep 130 – How to Increase Your Income – Without Working Any Harder or Any Longer
- The 5 BEST Digital Marketing Side Hustles $20 to $195 Per Hour!
- Episode 119: Developing an Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Master of Engineering Management in Information Engineering and Management