Based on my 2012 plan, some of you have asked me for details. What am I going to do? And how? I do not know for sure. But since I am always telling people to find what they love and then find a way to make money doing it, it is only fair that I share with you where I think this is heading for me.
How to find your calling
While there is no magic formula, I have found answering the following questions (and other related questions you come up with) give you real insight.
- What do you love to do?
- What do you read?
- What do friends and family ask you for advice or help with?
- Helping people to take control of the careers
- Helping people with money issues
- Helping other get projects under control
- Teaching about technology
- Public speaking
- Exploring the future of technology
- Helping people find their passions
- Mindless tasks to take my mind off things for a while
- Fixing up homes
- Looking at real estate
- Planning new ventures
- Thinking on my own
- Brainstorming with motivated and inspiring people
- Business – especially entrepreneurs (I hate big business process stuff – leave that for the MBAs)
- Psychology of success
- Mind/body relationships
- Motivational material
- People who have turned a passion into a business or career
- Getting out of debt
- Getting control of their money
- How to get a job
- How to start a company
- How to get investment for their company or idea
- Job relationship issues (conflicts)
- Public or mass transportation – I just do not feel like being treated like cattle
- Dealing with people who have their brains closed
- Dealing with people who can only argue what they have been told to argue
- Arrogant people
- Talking to people who speak corporate speak (lots of words and nothing said – see arrogant)
- Big company politics
- Middle management (see arrogant)
- People who think their big titles have meaning to me (Again – arrogant)
- TV drug commercials
- Soap operas
- Music from soap operas
- The audio from soap operas
- Hanging out with negative people
- Travel when not on my terms
- Being controlled in any way – I do not even like to be the passenger in a car
- Repeating myself
- Dealing with people who require me to repeat myself
Now I have a list. Incomplete, I am sure – but yet a list. Notice two things about the list. First, it has nothing to do with money. Second, there is little connection from one thing to another. This is all off the top of my head. Most people who know me well could have written this list for me. I will get into what it means (or at least what I think it means) later. But be sure, the list you make will be like shining a light into the dark cave where you have hidden your calling. More work to go, but at least you can see a glimmer of hope.
More important is YOUR LIST. My list should only provide an example for you – otherwise my list does you little good. Do you have a list?
If so – share it with me! Add it as a comment, email it to me, or send it by Pony Express. I love to see people finding their passions. Just look at my list and you can tell that.
Remember – you have choices in life. You can lead a life of your making, serving people you want to serve, or instead you can lead a life following a plan someone else has written. It is a choice, and you are making it as you read this!
Make that list!