A conversation I often have with parents is something like this:
“College? There Has Got to Be a Better Way”.
College is like a money pit and does not offer such a powerful tool to create wealth and security as perhaps it did. In fact, if chosen poorly, it generates the opposite.
So today, I want to dive into the issue a little deeper and explore some thoughts.
College? There Has Got to Be a Better Way
The college experience has some issues that often go with it.
- massive debt
- wasted time
- opportunity cost
- converting good thinking kids into – well, something else (garbage in and reprogramming)
Yet as parents, we only hear of a few alternatives
- Trade school
- Living in the basement forever
The truth is, we want for our kids the same thing that the college experience used to really offer. We want
- Opportunity to do anything they like
- Ability to earn and prosper
- Success on their own terms
So to think about this, let’s start by unpacking what college does still offer
- A plan – course plan to get a degree that maps to some career
- Measures of success – classes and grades
- Accountability – timelines, deadlines
- Credentials – diplomas showing success
Now the question is, how do we get this without college?
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my Company of One? If you’re not, I encourage you to do that today, so you don’t miss an episode. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
If you like what you hear, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast. I also love reading them and connecting with you. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review,” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Links mentioned in this episode: