Is it OK to want a new job that has more meaning to you when so many other people are unemployed? Should you not just be content with your work and live the blessing you have been given? Most of my clients do NOT like their job. There – I said it – most do not like their job. For most, they work for a good company and have good people around them, but something is missing. They are unfulfilled. They do not care about the mission of the company. They are bored. So, should they just grin and make the best of it or should they go after something that matters?
Click to Listen
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
How Can I help You in 2015? Click here to tell me!
If you have not taken my reader/listener survey – please do! But, looking at the data as it stands now, here are the top issues:
- I feel trapped in my job
- I need or would like more income
Key Indicators You Need a Change
- No Passion – You just do not feel it.
- Morning Blues – You dread going to work. Sundays are a drag as you know Monday is coming.
- Pain – Especially unexplained pain symptoms. These are classic signs of unhappiness or internal conflict. (Future show on this.)
- Dishonest company environment – You see things going on that are against your principles
- Poor morale – “Beatings will continue until morale improves.”
- You do not respect the mission and/or the people
- You have no trust in the leadership
How can you tell? If there are people in your company who seem to love their job, then it might be you. That is OK, maybe you are in the wrong place. But QUIT running around blaming them. Take responsibility for your career and your job and make the needed changes.
Two Options to Find Happiness at Work
- Take Control. I have worked with many clients who took personal responsibility and got control and influence through focusing on their Company of One. (The Company of One model is covered in detail in the book Resumes are Worthless.)
- Prepare to leave. Do not just quit and run to another job, but take the time to find what you want to do. I have walked more people than I can count through this process. First, start with your calling and identify things you might like. (See below) Then, go out and network.
Calling is the Key
Before writing about this topic, I searched it to see what others have written. But, I found a lot of people instead who were writing about how to be happy at work. I totally agree. You have to take charge and be happy where you are today. But, if you are doing the wrong job for you, you need to start the search for the right fit.
A great way to start the calling process is to do the brainstorming exercise. Download a FREE copy of my ebook on How To Find Your Calling below.
What Do You Need?
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe to it on iTunes. To subscribe, go to iTunes and hit subscribe! You may have to click the button that says, “OPEN IN ITUNES.” You can also find Company of One on Stitcher.
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: Which is you? 1) I love my job. 2) I want to take control. 3) I am preparing to leave. You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.